Foreign relations of Essexia
This article needs to be updated.
In the Commonwealth of Essexia, foreign relations are the responsibility of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, thus the Foreign Minister of Essexia. Originally, and technically currently, foreign affairs could be managed through decree of the monarchy, however following the Prerogative Act 2019, the Foreign Ministry of Essexia was given the full ability to levy the power previously only exercised by the Emperor. Ever since then, foreign affairs have been solely managed by the aforementioned ministry, and the monarchy has remained internationally neutral.
Essexia joined the Grand Unified Micronational on the 30 December 2018 by a narrow margin; Essexia was originally fairly disliked due to its claim that it controlled, rather than claimed, all of the British county of Essex, contrary to the Wrythe Convention - and this had led to its previous rejection from the GUM. However, in an effort to boost international prestige, Essexia eventually relinquished this claim, which led to their acceptance into the community. Notably, Lord Matthew has held several key positions within the GUM, including Associate Justice and Vice-Chairman. On the 1st January 2020, Essexian Foreign Minister Jack Dean will become the Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational.
Essexia has been seen as both controversial and respected in the short time it has been present internationally. Due to the fact most of Essexia exists in real life, rather than over the internet, and until recently all Essexian citizens had to reside in Essexian territory - Essexia was seen as very hostile in terms of their rejection of anyone who wanted to be involved that wasn't a resident of the British county of Essex. However, a recent shift in policy has seen Essexia become more welcoming to international citizens, and there are currently two non-resident Essexians in the Parliament of Essexia. Essexia has also found itself in controversy, through some satirical acts of Parliament, questionable political parties and cinematic productions. Despite this, and through their participation in several micronational summits, Essexia has deemed itself to become a moderately respected micronation. This view has been cemented by Jack Dean's election to the Chairmanship of the GUM in Decemember 2020.
Micronations allied with Essexia
The following nations are allied with Essexia, being key diplomatic partners of the nation.
- The Union of Millania and New Granada is the most important strategic ally of Essexia, both diplomatically and militarily. It signed a Treaty of Closer Cooperation with an Essexian delegation at the 2020 Essexia–Millania London Summit, which was the first of its kind for both nations.
- Poplar Nerva is a key ally of Essexia, having been founded by Jack Dean after the latter distanced himself from Essexia. He declared Poplar Nerva, a former Dominion of Essexia, independent. Despite the initial conflict, the two nations not only now peacefully co-exist, but are great micronational allies, aiding each other diplomatically and with Poplar Nerva providing support in the Shenistan-Essexian War.
Micronations with a mutual cooperation treaty with Essexia
- Gymnasium State, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Lord Matthew on the 25th of July 2019 at 00:05. The relationship is idle, but the two are on amicable terms as GUM partners.
- Kingdom of Gradonia, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Jack on the 17th of July 2019 at 00:05. There was a small brush during the temporary renaming of Essexia to the The Commonwealth of Essexia as is current, or The Commonwealth of Derbyshire, Aberdeenshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Buckinghamshire, Inverness-shire, Gloucestershire, Peterborough, Essex, Northumberland, the Isle of Man and Somerset, however this was later rectified. The relationship is currently idle, but the two are on amicable terms as GUM partners.
- Fifth Aenderian Republic, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Lord Matthew on the 14th of July 2019 at 23:55. The relationship is idle, but the two are on amicable terms.
- Millania, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Jack. The relationship is thriving, and Millania is now an ally of Essexia.
- Empire of Iustus, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Lord Matthew, on the 18th of March 2020 at 00:05. The relationship is new, but the two remain on good terms.
- Principality of Posaf, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Finn on the 9th of April 2020. The relationship is new, however Essexia had long previously engaged with Posaf. It is expected Posaf will one day transpire into an ally of Essexia do to their strong diplomatic partnership and cooperation.
- Principality of New Eiffel, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Finn on the 13th of April 2020 and coming into effect on the 14th of New Eiffel has been a shorter partner of Essexia than many others but during that time their members have greatly contributed to Essexian discussion.
- Kingdom of Lytera, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Finn on the 14th of April 2020 and took effect on the same day. Essexia and Lytera have a close relationship despite it being a short one. They have exchanged personnel with a member of Lytera serving as a Lord of Essexia.
- Kingdom of Ikonia, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Lord Matthew on the 19th of August 2020 and took effect on the same day. Essexia and Ikonia are on amicable terms and are mutually in the GUM.
- Republic of Yu-Xia signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew on the 13th of December 2020.
- United States of Mekniy and Lurk signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 13th of December 2020.
- Kingdom of Wyvern signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 13th of December 2020.
- Grand Duchy of Klitzibürg signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 13th of December 2020.
- Empire of Aenopia signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 13th of December 2020.
- State of Vishwamitra signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 14th of December 2020.
- People's Republic of Ponderosa Hills signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 14th of December 2020.
- Rednecks Republic signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 14th of December 2020.
- Kingdom of the Iceni signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 14th of December 2020.
- Republic of Nordale signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt. Hon. Jack of the 24th December 2020.
- Duchy of Firburg signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt. Hon. Jack of the 27th December 2020.
- Free Kingdom of the Majer Dynasty signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt. Hon. Jack of the 3rd January 2020.
Provisional Bilateral Relations
- Palatinate of Uberquiesenberg, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Finn on the 10th of April 2020. A provisional treaty of mutual-cooperation was signed, with a full treaty planning on being signed in person.
- Abeldane Empire, signed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Earl Finn on the 10th of April 2020, and was approved by the Abeldane parliament on 18 April 2020. A provisional treaty of mutual-cooperation was signed, with a full treaty currently within the negotiation stage.
- Serene Beaconite Republic proposed by prerogative of Foreign Minister Rt Hon. Matthew of the 13th on Decemember 2020. To be ratified by the Beaconites.
Other micronations recognised by Essexia
Essexia currently uses the Danko Doctrine to determine its foreign policy; a doctrine invented and coined by Lord Matthew. The idea, is that Essexia should recognise and enter into mutual relationships with every full member of the GUM. The process of entering relations is currently underway, however, the following list is identical to the membership of the GUM, with a few exceptions such as Sealand and nations which Essexia is already partnered with, for the aforementioned reasons.
- Uber-Essian Union Essexia recognises Uber-Esse, and the two are arranging a date to sign a Treaty of Mutual Cooperation in Chelmsford in the near future.
- Kingdom of Wyvern
- Empire of Austenasia Essexia recognises Austenasia, although does not aspire to enter into relations with them, due to their Imperium doctrine. An Essexian delegation has met with Jonathan I, Emperor of Austenasia.
- Empire of Iustus
- Directive of Misberia
- Essexia recognises the Kingdom of Lytera, and the two have expressed an interest in entering relations.
- Empire of Adammia Adammia was one of the first micronations Essexia recognised. Adammia also recognises Essexia. An Essexian delegation has met with Adam I, Emperor of Adammia.
- Serene Beaconite Republic
- Triumvirate of Sonderan
- Abeldane Empire
- Empire of Aenopia
- Republic of Ashukovo
- Astovian Union
- Kingdom of Atovia
- Unified Royal States of Australis
- Gymnasium State
- Bailiwick of Hak'hanna
- Kingdom of Jupiter
- Jusin Republic
- Principality of Ledilia
- Grand Duchy of Liangsi
- Union of Millania and New Granada
- Nemkhav Federation
- Republic of New Rizalia
- Commonwealth of New Virginia
- Tsardom of Nolland
- Republic of Nordale
- Empire of Paravia
- Poplar Nerva
- Principality of Posaf
- Rednecks Republic
- Unitary State of Swivia
- Technocratic Republic of Theodia
- Commonwealth of Uskor
- State of Vishwamitra
- Vlasynian Despotate
- Federal Union of Wegmat
- Republic of Yu-Xia
- State of Zenrax
Macronations recognised by Essexia
Informal relations with Macronations
Essexia is not recognised by any macronation. However, it has had informal interactions with four major macronations which it counts as informal relations.
- Being surrounded by it, Essexia sees the United Kingdom as a nation it has informal relations with. Many Essexian citizens live in the United Kingdom, and have to commute and work in its territory. Essexia has attempted to make contact with the UK on several occasions; it has posted its Declaration of Independence to the Cabinet Office, Downing Street, and the local Chelmsford MPs office - all with no reply.
- Essexia sees itself as having informal relations with Spain following the establishment of the Essexian Embassy to Spain. Spain does not recognise or acknowledge the embassies existence, however locals often enquire about the flag which flies from the roof of the building.
- Essexia sees itself as having informal relations with Nepal after Earl Jack climbed Mount Everest and planted a bio-degradable Essexian flag at Everest base-camp.
- Despite not recognising it, Essexia admits to having informal relations with the Peoples Republic of China. While on a school trip at Westminster Hall in the United Kingdom in November 2018, Earl Jack saluted with his left arm (attempting to respect the left-leaning nature of the Chinese government) at the Chinese Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Liu Xiaoming, who nodded back. Essexians see this as China recognising the existence of the Essexian delegation and an act of diplomatic contact. This has been disputed by some in the micronational community.
Meetings and visits
Essexia is open to the idea of micronational summits and has currently attended two, and plans to attend more in the future.
2019 GUM Summit
- An Essexian delegation consisting of Lord Matthew, Earl Jack, Emperor Terry, Lord Jamie and Citizen Adam, were present at the 2019 GUM Birmingham Summit. They met with other micronational leaders, including;
2020 Essexia–Millania London Summit
- The 2020 Essexia–Millania London Summit saw a smaller Essexian delegation meet with Nicolás Millán on the 3rd of February 2020 in Westminster, London.
- The two micronations met up informally the week after the main summit, and Nicolás Millán was toured around Chelmsford and awarded the Essexia Cross.
- Several informal meetings with Poplar Nerva.
- Several informal meetings with The Virtual Dreamscape.
- Emperor Terry, Lord Matthew and Lord Jack met with Newton von Uberquie in Chelmsford in July 2020. It marked the first time in 8 years an incumbent Chairman and Vice-chairman of the Grand Unified Micronational had met in person.
Essexia is signatory to: