Kingdom of Roskya
Kingdom of Roskya
• Deputy Chancellor
• Speaker of Parliament
|Legislature||Grand Roskyan Parliament|
|Establishment||15 April 2020|
|Currency||United States dollar|
|Time zone||EST/EDT (UTC−05:00, Fox Ridge)|
CST (UTC−06:00, Begelia)
The Kingdom of Roskya[a] (Polish: Królestwo Roskya), commonly known as Roskya, was an self-proclaimed sovereign micronation located in the United States. Roskya was located in the states of Florida, Indiana, and Illinois, and was founded by Kris Latzke on 15 April 2020. It was dissolved on 9 July 2021 following a prolonged period of inactivity. As of 9 November 2020, Roskya consisted of 41 citizens; six of those citizens resided within Roskyan territories, with the rest being so-called "global" citizens.
Per the Constitution, Roskya was a constitutional monarchy, with Johann Kümmel acting as Roskya's monarch and Kris Latzke acting as Chancellor, and by extension as Roskya's head of government,[b] upon its dissolution. The Chancellor and Keisari were advised by the Council of Ministers, which acted as a cabinet and consisted of 4 people, who were heads of their respective departments. The Grand Parliament served as the bicameral legislature of Roskya and was divided into Parliament, elected by the citizens of Roskya, and the Tsarisky Soviet, which was appointed by the King.
Roskya also consisted of numerous administrative divisions; as of 9 November 2020, Roskya consisted of two duchies, those being the Duchy of Begelia and the Duchy of Fox Ridge, with Fox Ridge acting as the de facto capital.[c] Begelia was further divided into a town, known as Great Oak, and a territory, known as Leos, which were established via Ducal Decree 001 on 3 October 2020.
Roskya was founded as the Tsardom of Roskya on 15 April 2020 in the city of Winter Haven, Florida, by Kris Latzke. Kris would later state he found the inspiration to establish Roskya from the Grand Kingdom of Matachewan, a Canadian micronation founded approximately 5 years prior. Later that day, a provisional government was formed, which consisted of Kris Latzke, Christina Nowell, Nicholas Lokin, Chris Ramsay, and a friend of Kris. On 21 April, elections for the positions of Chancellor, Deputy Chancellor and the Grand Roskyan Parliament were held, thus getting rid of the previous provisional government. On the same day, Zechairah o'Hair, incumbent Emperor of Etukan, was declared an "enemy of the state" via Imperial Order 002 for attempting to "nuke"[d] the Discord server of the Kingdom of Humberlea following the election of Kris Latzke as its Prime Minister.
On 8 May, Johann Kümmel founded the Duchy of Begelia, located in the state of Indiana; nine days later, he was appointed the Kruununprinssi of Roskya. Later that day, Kris announced that he would be taking a break from micronationalism, appointing Johann as regent Kuningas; however, Kris returned two days later and re-inherited the title. In mid-July, the formal name for Roskya was changed to the Empire of Roskya; in addition, the position of monarch and heir apparent were renamed to Keisari and Kruununprinssi, respectively. On 28 September, Kris abdicated as Keisari, stating that he would abdicate in favour of Johann for the time being. Immediately after, Johann called for a snap election for the Chancellor and Parliament, resulting in Christina Nowell being re-elected as Chancellor. On 14 October, Imperial Order 005, which designated the Empire of Roskya as a kingdom and renamed the position of Keisari to Kuningas, was issued; in addition, the Duchy of Fox Ridge, under the leadership of Kris Hudson, threatened to secede as the "Republic of Fox Ridge". The crisis was solved the following day.
On 25 October, Nicholas Lokin, then a Member of the Grand Parliament, was charged with attempting a coup d'état against a foreign government—in particular the Great States of O'Duighan—in addition to violating the Territory Act. Nicholas was promptly impeached from his position as Member of Parliament following a vote in Grand Parliament; following this, a snap election was called for his seat. In addition, the Constitution of Roskya was ratified that same week, amending the amount of seats in Parliament to seven and resulting in both candidates for Lokin's seat winning. Between 29 October and 1 November, a survey was held to determine the ethnicities, languages and religions of the citizens of Roskya. On 3 December, the Heraldry Act was passed, establishing a heraldic organization and society of Roskya, as well as defining heraldic law; on the same day, Sean Dunkerque was impeached from the Grand Parliament following a parliamentary vote.
On 19 March 2021, the Cross of Johann I was announced by the Council of Ministers. The criteria to be awarded the Cross was defined by Royal Order 10, which noted that any "documented citizen" that contributed to the culture, government or history of Roskya was eligible to receive it. The order also awarded six people with the honor. On 11 July 2021, the Grand Parliament was dissolved through Royal Order 011, citing a lack of candidates for the upcoming elections; via the decree, the Grand Parliament was replaced by a provisional government, which comprised of Johann I, Chris Miller, Kris Latzke and Sander Koff. Roskya was dissolved roughly a month later on 9 July via Royal Order 012, which "returned" the duchies of Fox Ridge and Begelia to the United States.
Most information regarding the demographics of Roskya was taken during the Roskyan ELR Census, a survey between 29 October and 1 November 2020 that asked Roskyan citizens about their ethnicities, languages and religions. The survey received nine responses.
|Source: Government of Roskya.|
The population of Roskya was 41 registered citizens as of 30 October 2020. Of those, six lived within the administrative divisions of Roskya, while 37 were known as "global citizens"; the local citizens consisted of three residents of Begelia and three residents of Fox Ridge. Most citizens had ancestry from the British Isles or Scandinavia. In addition, other countries of European origin, particularly Poland, France and Germany, were cited as one's ethnicity.
The official languages of Roskya were English (specifically, British English), per Articles 7 and 42 of the constitution, and Polish, which was made a national language by Imperial Order 006. The ELR Census found that, besides English, the most commonly spoken language was Polish. The same survey found that most that submitted responses were not bilingual, with 5 stating that they were not bilingual.
Roskya was a secular state, with no official religion; however, according to the ELR Census, Christianity was the most widely-followed religion, with Roman Catholicism being the largest branch within Roskya, followed by Protestantism. 44.4% of respondents were either non-religious or are atheist. The two most commonly practiced religions within the administrative divisions of Roskya was Roman Catholicism within Begelia, while Fox Ridge was majority atheist.
The freedom to practice any religion was allowed, per Article 33 of the constitution. The Bobist Diocese of Roskya and Cycoldia, prior to its replacement with the Bishopric of Roskya, was de facto situated within Begelia.
Politics and government
The government of Roskya was a unitary state under a constitutional monarchy. The King of Roskya was the head of state and monarch of Roskya, holding some power of the Roskyan government, with the Crown Prince as the heir apparent to the throne. The King was also able to issue Imperial Orders; however, the extent of the powers of an Imperial Order was not outlined. The Chancellor acted as the head of government and Chief Executive, overseeing Parliament and the Council of Ministers, with the Deputy Chancellor as their subordinate and substitute. The Chancellor also appointed the Council of Ministers, who advise the King and Chancellor on laws and also work in their respective ministries. The Grand Parliament acted as the head legislature of Roskya, passing laws and legislation on behalf of the citizens of Roskya.
List of chancellors
The first chancellor of Roskya, Christina Nowell, was elected on 12 April 2020, with Nicholas Lokin serving as her deputy until a vote of no confidence on 21 June. Following the July 2020 elections, Brandon Mierzwa was elected as Chancellor, with Chris Ramsay as his deputy; he would serve as Chancellor until 3 October. Brandon would oversee the transition of the monarchy to Johann Kümmel, who would call for snap elections for the positions of chancellor and Grand Parliament after assuming the role of King.
Following the October 2020 elections, Christina Nowell was again elected chancellor, with Matthew Xia serving as deputy; they would assume those roles until the January 2021 elections, when Kris Latzke and Christina Nowell were elected chancellor and deputy chancellor, respectively. Following the resignation of Kris on 2 February, Christina assumed the role of chancellor until the March 2021 general elections. Following the elections, Kris Latzke was again elected chancellor, with Chris Miller serving as deputy.
Due to a lack of candidates in the June 2021 elections, Grand Parliament was dissolved and replaced with a provisional government via Royal Decree 011.
|Chancellor||Term of office||Party||Deputy|
|Christina Nowell||21 April
|Social Democratic Party||Nicholas Lokin (until 21 June)|
|Brandon Mierzwa||22 July
|Conservative Military Party||Chris Ramsay|
|Christina Nowell||3 October
|Social Democratic Party||Matthew Xia|
|Kris Hudson||9 January
|Social Libertarian Party||Christina Nowell|
|Christina Nowell||2 February
|Social Democratic Party||Matthew Xia (from ? February)|
|Kris Hudson||2 February
|Social Libertarian Party||Chris Ramsay|
Royal Orders were orders issued by the King that took place immediately after being issued. They were not defined within the constitution.
During the existence of the Kingdom, 12 Royal Orders were written; of those, 4 were written by Kris Latzke, while the other 8 were written by Johann Kümmel.
List of Royal Orders
- Royal Order 001 (Establishing the Roskyan Constitutional Convention) - 16 April 2020
- Royal Order 002 (Declaring Zechariah O'Hair an enemy of the state) - 21 April 2020
- Royal Order 003 (Establishing the election cycle) - 27 April 2020
- Royal Order 004 (Preventing Robert Smith of Elysium from holding citizenship) - 15 June 2020
- Royal Order 005 (To formally designate the Empire of Roskya as a Kingdom) - 14 October 2020
- Royal Order 006 (To declare Polish to be an official language) - 28 October 2020
- Royal Order 007 (To cut any ties between Roskya and Ausveria) - 2 November 2020
- Royal Order 008 (To designate Imperial Orders as Royal Orders) - 7 December 2020
- Royal Order 009 (To appoint HM Johann I as King of Arms) - 7 December 2020
- Royal Order 010 (To confer the Cross of Johann I upon citizens on the 1-year anniversary of the founding of Roskya, and to define its eligibility) - 15 April 2021
- Royal Order 011 - 11 June 2021
- Royal Order 012 - 9 July 2021
Due to the relatively young age of the nation at the time, Roskya did not establish extensive foreign relations. However, Roskya did establish consulates, all of which were located digitally, with 13 micronations, including the Grand Kingdom of Matachewan, the Grand Republic of Cycoldia, and the Republic of Yu-Xia.
Requesting relations with Roskya was done with the consent of Grand Parliament, which put up a vote on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In addition, micronations that engaged in foreign relations were to be expected to follow the Wrythe Convention and the Edgbaston Convention; if not, their digital consulate was to be closed.
Roskya was a signatory of the aforementioned conventions since 4 October 2020,[e] as well as the Halcyon Convention since 31 October 2020. In addition, Roskya ratified the 1933 Montevideo Convention, a convention which most micronations use as a basis for de jure independence, on 14 October 2020.
- Kingdom of Brurndonum
- Grand Republic of Cycoldia
- Communal People's Republic of Wamong
- Kingdom of Humberlea
- Kaiserreich von Käden
- Windovian Commonwealth
- Republic of Yu-Xia
- Forwardist Republic of Eastasia
- People's Republic of Adonia
- Elba Empire
- Republic of Elysium
- Grand Republic of Leo
- New Republic of Lonzano
- Grand Kingdom of Matachewan
- Directive of Misberia
Prior to 21 October 2020, the administrative divisions of Roskya were not defined, with the only type of administrative division being a duchy. Following said date, administrative divisions were defined by the Territory Act, with 4 types of administrative divisions being laid out: duchies, counties or towns, and territories. Additionally, each type of division has its own requirements, particularly on the number of citizens they require.[f]
The Duchy of Fox Ridge—the first administrative division of Roskya—was established upon the foundation of Roskya, while the Duchy of Begelia was established on 8 May.
|Fox Ridge||15 April 2020||3||Duke Kris Latzke||N/A|
|Begelia||8 May 2020||3||Duke Johann Kümmel
Political parties were not defined by law; however, the registration of political parties still occurred by registering them with the government of Roskya. Criteria for political parties included the name and political/fiscal stances of the party.
The first political party, the Liberal Monarchist Party, was officially registered on 15 April 2020, with 5 members. This was followed by the now-defunct Republican Party, National Roskya Party and Green Party, as well as the High Tory Party. As of 4 November, 21% of Roskya's population was registered with a political party.
|Name of Party||Chairman||Members||Social stance||Fiscal stance||Ideology||Seats in Parliament|
(as of 31 October 2020)
|Conservative Military Party||Isaiah David||2||Pro-protectionism, pro-localization, pro-military||Capitalism||Conservatism|
2 / 7
|Democratic Socialist Party||Sean, Duke of Dunkerque||4||Progressivism||Socialism||Democratic socialism, anti-interventionism, pacifism|
0 / 7
|High Tory Party||Bomber Pekoe||1||Conservative||Fascism||Conservative, traditionalism, religious, and imperialism|
0 / 7
|Liberal Monarchist Party of Roskya||Christina Nowell||2||Liberal, pro-equality||Liberal||Liberal monarchism|
2 / 7
|Social Libertarian Party||Corvin I of Carthia||1||Progressive||Socialism until it is no longer needed[g]||Left-libertarianism, anarchism|
0 / 7
|National Roskya Party||Johannes Tyurukstein||1||Pro-equality, pro-equity||Capitalism||Conservatism|
1 / 7
|Social Democratic Party||Kris Hudson||2||Libertarianism, pro-equality||Centre-left to far-left||Social democracy|
1 / 7
1 / 7
|Roskya Islamic Weeb Party||Otto Gillespie Birch||1||Social ecology||Eco-socialism||Liberal democracy|
0 / 7
|Republican Party||Kyle Smith||1||Equality?||Capitalism||Republicanism|
0 / 7
|Green Party||Leon Montan||1||Progressive||Left-wing||Eco-socialism|
0 / 7
A main section of the Roskyan culture was e-sports, with Roskya having an unofficial Counter-Strike: Global Offensive team located on the Steam platform that was established 16 June 2020;[h] in addition, government officials showed interest in other games, such as Hearts of Iron 4.
The cultures of the administrative regions of Roskya differed from region to region, with the Duchy of Begelia having a Polish culture mixed with parts of American culture.
Roskya would field a team in the Micronational Virtual Olympics I, with Johann I comprising the team; the team would get 1 silver and 1 bronze medal in noughts and crosses and Uno, respectively. The team placed 3rd in the Olympics.
Following the passing of the Roskyan National Holiday Act, 12 holidays were recognized by Roskya; 5 were of Roskyan origin, while the rest were of international origin, particularly from the United States and the United Soviet Socialist Republics.
The 5 Roskyan holidays—Founding Day, Memorial Day, King's Day, Roskyan Independence Day and Constitution Day—represented important days in Roskya. Founding Day celebrated the founding of Roskya; Memorial Day was celebrated in conjunction with the eponymous American holiday; King's Day celebrated the birthday of Johann Kümmel; Roskyan Independence Day celebrated the independence of Roskya from the United States, and; Constitution Day celebrated the ratification of the Roskyan Constitution.
|Name of holiday||Date|
|New Year's Day||1 January|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||18 January|
|Founding Day||26 April|
|Victory Day for the Comintern||8 May|
|Mother's Day||10 May|
|Memorial Day[i]||25 May|
|Father's Day||21 June|
|King's Day||26 August|
|Victory Day for Allied nations||2 September|
|Roskyan Independence Day||19 October|
|Constitution Day||27 October|
|Armistice Day||11 November|
Roskya did not have a standing military; however, a Roskyan National Defense Force, abbreviated as RNDF, was defined by Chapter 10 of the Constitution. According to said chapter, the RNDF was a pacifistic military organization, and as such neither it nor its branches were permitted to undergo offensive military operations. The head of the RNDF was the Supreme Commander, who would be the incumbent King; beneath him was the High Command, whos members are appointed by the King and approved by Parliament. Conscription within the RNDF was illegal except in the cases of apocalypse, civil unrest within the neighbouring United States or invasion by another micronation. An unproposed act of the Grand Parliament - named as the "Organization of the R.N.D.F Act" - defined the ranks of the RNDF.[j] The ranks were divided into three groups: general, officer and common. The Act also proposed the division of the RNDF into territorial armies, which, in turn, were divided into divisions and regiments. In addition, the act set the terms for dischargement.
- ↑ Formerly known as the Empire of Roskya (Polish:Imperium Roskya) until 14 October 2020.
- ↑ According to Article 67 of the Constitution. which laid out the duties of the office of Chancellor.
- ↑ Roskya did not have any national capital; however, Fox Ridge was the de facto capital, as it is the founding place of Roskya.
- ↑ "Nuking" a Discord server refers to the act of deleting most or all portions of the server, including channels and roles, often with malicious intent.
- ↑ According to Article 98 of the Constitution, said conventions cannot be denounced in any way possible.
- ↑ 5 citizens were required for a territory to be a duchy, 3 were required for a territory to be a town or a county, and 1 was required to form a territory.
- ↑ It could be inferred that after socialism isn't needed, some other left-wing system (most likely communism) would replace it.
- ↑ "Roskya Esports". steamcommunity.com.
- ↑ Memorial Day is observed in the U.S and Roskya.
- ↑ It is not known if the act was ever proposed in Grand Parliament.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Royal Order 005". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 November 2020. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Kümmel, Johann (3 October 2020). "Ducal Decree 001". Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ @RoskyanEmpire (21 April 2020). "Elections have finished, and our new Chancellor is @CCycoldia, with her DC, @LokinNicholas. Our new MPs (that we know have Twitter) are @_micro_man and @PresidentMontan. The rest is contained in the attached screenshot" (Tweet) – via Twitter.[dead link]
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Royal Order 002". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ "Keisari of Roskya abdicates". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ @RoskyanEmpire (28 September 2020). "@_Andreas_Hudson has abdicated the position of Keisari to @bishopjohannbob" (Tweet) – via Twitter.[dead link]
- ↑ "Roskyan elections". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 3 October 2020.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Kümmel, Johann (21 October 2020). "Territory Act". Grand Parliament of Roskya. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ David, Isaiah (27 October 2020). "Nicholas Lokin get impeached". Micronational Gazette. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- ↑ "M.P in Roskya impeached". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- ↑ "Roskyan snap elections". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 "Roskya survey conducted". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 1 November 2020.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Royal Order 010". 15 April 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 "Royal Order 012". Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 "Royal Order 006". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ "Royal Order 001". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ @Roskyan Empire, "Recently, an Imperial Order was issued that declares the Emperor of Etukan, Zecharia O'Hair, an enemy of the state for his actions in @KHumberlea. Full IO is attached.", Twitter.
- ↑ "Royal Order 003". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ @RoskyanEmpire, "New Imperial Order.", Twitter.
- ↑ "Royal Order 004". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ "News from Roskya". The MicroJournal. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- ↑ "Royal Order 007". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022..
- ↑ "Royal Order 008". idiots.ml. Archived from the original on 9 May 2021. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 "2 Royal Orders". The MicroJournal. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 7 December 2020.
- ↑ "Royal Decree 011". 11 June 2021. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- ↑ Miller, Chris. "Guidelines | Ministry of Foreign Affairs". Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ Kümmel, Johann (4 October 2020). "Address to Foreign Ambassadors". Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ Kümmel, Johann (13 October 2020). "Ratification of the Montevideo Convention Act". Grand Parliament of Roskya. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ "Agreement of Mutual Recognition Between the Grand Duchy of Misberia and the Empire of Roskya". 25 July 2020. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ Latzke, Kris (31 October 2020). "Roskyan National Holiday Act". Grand Parliament of Roskya. Retrieved 3 July 2022.
- ↑ Kümmel, Johann (10 March 2022). "Roskyan Holidays". Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- ↑ "Organization of the R.N.D.F Act". 13 November 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2022.