Order of the Bullmastiff
|Order of the Bullmastiff|
|Awarded by the Empire of Austenasia|
|Type||Chivalric order with five ranks|
|Awarded for||At the absolute discretion of the Monarch|
|Grades||Knight/Dame of Carothan|
Knight/Dame of Rose
Knight/Dame of Edd
Knight/Dame of Molossers
Knight/Dame of the Order of the Bullmastiff
|First induction||10 January 2009|
|Last induction||20 September 2022|
|Next (higher)||Order of Saint Constantine|
|Next (lower)||Austenasian Order|
The Order of the Bullmastiff is an order of chivalry bestowed by the Monarch of the Empire of Austenasia, the bullmastiff being the national animal of Austenasia. Founded on 3 January 2009 by Act 41 (Additional Honours), it was the senior Austenasian order of chivalry in precedence until the founding of the Glorious Order of St. John on 31 January 2009 and the Order of Saint Constantine on 21 May 2016, and is now the third highest in precedence.
The Order is unique among Austenasian orders of chivalry in having a Mascot, a bullmastiff appointed by the Monarch to serve as a symbol of Austenasia for life. This position has been held since October 2022 by "Penny" Coulbymoor Lady Penelope at Bramarley, following a vacancy during which two Honorary Mascots - dogs who are not a bullmastiff - were appointed to serve as placeholders.
Prior to April 2016, when the fifth grade was established, all the grades of knighthoods in this order had maximum quotas; this resulted in the order being dormant from September 2010 to January 2013, September 2013 to May 2014, and September 2015 to April 2016 due to there being no more spaces available.
There are five grades in the Order of the Bullmastiff, the holders of all of which may legally be referred to as knights:
- Knight/Dame of Carothan (maximum quota of 2)
- Knight/Dame of Rose (maximum quota of 4)
- Knight/Dame of Edd (maximum quota of 4)
- Knight/Dame of Molossers (maximum quota of 6)
- Knight/Dame of the Order of the Bullmastiff
Knights/Dames of Carothan (KOC/DOC)
- HIH Princess Caroline: 10/1/2009
- HIM Emperor Taeglan I Nihilus: 15/9/2013
Knights/Dames of Rose (KOR/DOR)
- A. Francis: 10/1/2009
- HIH Princess Consort Margaret: 16/3/2009
- Wilhelm Hartmann-Peters: 9/6/2010
- Lord William Wilson, Duke of Taysha: 20/9/2022
Knights/Dames of Edd (KOE/DOE)
- HIH Emperor Father Terry: 20/9/2014
- Lord John Gordon, Baron of Palasia: 20/9/2014
- HM King Quentin I: 20/9/2014
- HM Queen Carolyn I: 19/9/2015
Knights/Dames of Molossers (KOM/DOM)
- Timothy B.: 10/1/2009
- Jennifer B.: 10/1/2009
- Gregory Allen: 14/3/2009
- Patrick Allen: 14/3/2009
- Kyng Fyrst: 5/10/2009
- Lieutenant Alfred Hayes: 10/3/2010
Knights/Dames of the Order of the Bullmastiff (KOB/DOB)
- Imani McEwen: 17/4/2016
- Co-President Fionnbarra Ó Cathail: 17/4/2016
- H.E. Dominic Connolly: 6/9/2016
- H.E. Lucas Campos: 14/11/2016
- President Edward Jacobs: 4/6/2017
- H.E. Professor Sanjib Bhattacharya, OAO: 4/6/2017
- Lord Charles Ross, Duke of Occidentia: 19/9/2020
- Brayden "Lee" Eaves: 19/9/2020
- Lord Michael Simpson, Count of Occibrazos: 18/9/2021
- Lady Addison O'Halloran, Baroness of Blue Ridge: 18/9/2021
- Sir Anthony Clark: 18/9/2021
- Joseph Francis, MAO: KOR from 10/1/2009 - 4/3/2010. Dishonourably revoked for a lack of respect shown towards HIM Emperor Esmond III.
- William K., CAO: KOR from 10/1/2009 - 8/3/2010. Dishonourably revoked upon the outbreak of the Austenasian Civil War.
- HIH Crown Prince Sir Jonathan Austen, IKA, DSC, PM: KOC from 10/1/2009 - 20/1/2013. Replaced by the sovereignty of the Order when he became Emperor of Austenasia.
- Lord Rear Admiral Evan Keller, Duke of New Virginia: KOB from 17/9/2016 - 18/11/2017. Honourably revoked.
- Premier James von Puchow, OSP, OBS, OLrG, KOSE: KOR from 18/9/2010 - 7/1/2018. Relinquished in protest at the results of the 2018 Constitutional Referendum.
- Lord Admiral Eren Lewis, Baron of Terentia: 17/9/2016 - 20/1/2018. Replaced by KOR.
- Iron Lord Daniel Dankovsky, Duke of Dalmatia: KOB from 4/9/2017 - 5/3/2018. Dishonourably revoked for racist comments.
- Lord Edward Gunderson, Count of New Grémmia: KOB from 4/6/2019 - 29/5/2020. Revoked by the Dragovina Act 2020.
- Lady Admiral Eryn Lewis, Duchess of Bernardston: KOR from 20/1/2018 - 6/6/2022. Dishonourably revoked.
The Order of the Bullmastiff is the only Austenasian order of chivalry to have a mascot. The Mascot is a bullmastiff who acts almost as a ceremonial embodiment of the Empire's national animal, appointed for life by the Monarch. Between January 2018 and October 2022 there was no bullmastiff known to the Imperial Family to be appointed Mascot, and so to fill the vacancy, two non-bullmastiff Honorary Mascots were consecutively appointed. The second Honorary Mascot remains in office to this day, serving out a life term concurrently with the Mascot proper, but will not be replaced unless the position of Mascot becomes vacant again.
The first two Mascots, Rose and Edd, were pets of the immediate Imperial Family. On 3 May 2014 and 17 April 2016, Emperor Jonathan I issued Imperial Decrees creating lines of succession of sorts to the position of Mascot, comprised of bullmastiffs owned by family friends. However, only one of these dogs - "Lily" Carothan Lilly of the Water, the daughter of Rose - was alive when Edd died in April 2017. She therefore immediately and automatically become the next Mascot, but died in January 2018 without an heir. With no suitable successor able to be found, on 26 February later that year Emperor Jonathan I appointed Cleo as Honorary Mascot, a role in which she served until her own death in October 2021, being succeeded by the incumbent Honorary Mascot, Ralph. Just under one year later, another bullmastiff, Penny - a relative of both Rose and Edd, owned by a family friend - was appointed the incumbent Mascot proper.
List of Mascots
|Mascot||Portrait||Birth||Death||Relation to previous Mascots||Bloodlines|
Bramarley Paloma of Carothan
|17 Jun 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
|24 Apr 2014
|N/A||Kennels: Carothan, Bramarley|
Other bloodlines: Oldwell, Brogalan, Wyburn
Hyerdunscar's Notorious Edd of Carothan
|29 Dec 2008
|4 Apr 2017
|Fourth cousin once removed of Rose||Kennels: Carothan, Hyerdunscar|
Other bloodlines: Frankental, Graecia, Jobull
Carothan Lilly of the Water
|27 Jun 2010
|26 Jan 2018
West Clandon, UK
|Daughter of Rose; second cousin once removed of Edd||Kennel: Carothan|
Other bloodlines: Oldwell, Bramarley, Sundabish
Cleopatra Carling Buchanan
|26 Feb 2011
|29 Oct 2021
|N/A: Non-bullmastiff appointed as Honorary Mascot||Unknown|
|c. Aug 2019
|Living||N/A: Non-bullmastiff appointed as Honorary Mascot||Unknown|
Coulbymoor Lady Penelope at Bramarley
|27 Apr 2020
|Living||Great-x3 niece of Rose; great-x3 niece of
Edd; first cousin twice removed of Lily.
|Kennels: Bramarley, Coulbymoor|
Other bloodlines: Oldwell, Hyerdunscar, Graecia